Volunteer Opportunities in Outreach Programs
- Food donations to the Crossroads Pantry, 347 S. 400 E, Salt Lake City
Non-perishable food of all types is collected in donation bins within the building, and delivered to Crossroads Urban Center's pantry weekly. Donations and delivery help are always needed. Contact: Barb Hatch, Email. The Food of the Month and Thrift Store Item of the Month can be found in the weekly bulletin and in the monthy Connection. The Golden Celery Challenge is a summertime, friendly contest among area churches to give the 'most' by weight.
- Donations to the Crossroads Thrift Store
Used clothes, shoes, hats, gloves and coats and new underwear for all sizes and ages & for all seasons are collected in the "Donations" closet which is located in the hall north of the gym and near the North Entrance. Contact: Chuck Mittelstadt, Email.
- Salt Lake Donated Dental provides dental care to low-income and underserved adults in the Salt Lake area. Your financial donations help sustain the program which provides underserved adults with health, job prospects and improved self-esteem.
- On the second Saturday of each month, we make and serve over 500 sandwiches for the Sandwich Service Project. Contact: Monet Palmer Email.
- Each weekday we deliver meals through the County's Meals-on-Wheels program. Meals are delivered to the CUMC kitchen and volunteers deliver the meals to recipients within about a 3.5 mile area of the church. This is a fun way to help in the community. Contact Nona Bressler, 801-261-1561, or Email .
- We host Family Promise Guests as part of Family Promise, www.fpsl.org.
Volunteers help in various ways while the families are staying at Christ Church. Contact Merrilee Wahl at firstname.lastname@example.org or Wes Wilde at email@example.com
- We collect and deliver supplies to help the VOA Youth Resource Center (formerly HYRC). Contact: Coni Hampton, Email, 801-272-5988
These donations are collected throughout the year for homeless youth 16 through 20 yrs of age. Click here for the Spring Wish List and details about Volunteering.
- Families Anonymous is a world wide support group for those who have a friend or family member who suffers from substance abuse or related emotional problems. The group meets at CUMC every Wednesday at 7 pm in room 209. A second FA group is now meeting at Mountain Vista United Methodist Church. The church is located at 8931 So. 3200 West. Meetings are Thursdays at 7 pm in the Rainbow Room. FOR MORE INFORMATION: Call Bonnie at 801 581-0180 or 801 664-1020 or Email .
- CUMC has adopted a two-mile section of Wasatch Boulevard just north of Little Cottonwood Canyon. The adult Sunday school classes organized clean-up dates. Anyone who wishes to participate in this outdoor community activity is welcome. Watch for dates and times to be announced in the weekly bulliten or monthly newsletter.
- We contribute to the Utah Interfaith Power & Light. Contact: Doug Hattery Email.
- The Social Justice Subcommittee provides an opportunity for Church members to advocate for causes of concern to them. Click here for a list of useful websites. Contact Terry Haven, Email , 801-554-6570
- We support Voices for Utah Children, and invite you to sign up to get action alerts on legislative issue affecting kids. You may do so at the bottom of their website under “Get involved” at www.utahchildren.org
- Our Youth collect and deliver donations of pet supplies to Palmer Court, a facility for homeless families. They also participate in the Angel Ministry at Christmastime. The youth purchase gifts for children who have a parent in jail, and host a Christmas party for those children.